CSA season has begun and my fridge is filled with freshly harvested spring greens! After what always seems like a long winter of eating root vegetables and produce shipped from miles away, I am so happy to once again have beautiful fresh produce.
While some people may get overwhelmed by all the greens in their CSA, I LOVE them. My body craves light, fresh salads at this time of year.
My favorite spring green is tender, baby arugula and it’s the star of this delicious salad. The beauty of this salad is its simplicity. It requires only 4 essential ingredients: baby arugula, orzo, lemon juice and olive oil. All of the other ingredients are optional. You can add in whatever suits your palate!
- 1-1½ cups orzo
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives (optional)
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes (optional)
- ¼ red onion, chopped (optional)
- Shaved Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cook orzo according to package directions.
- When the orzo is done, run it under cold water until cool.
- Mix together the cooled orzo with the arugula, lemon juice, and olive oil.
- Mix in black olives, chopped red onion and/or sun-dried tomatoes, if desired.
- Mix in shaved Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese, if desired.